Causa Justa :: Just Cause [CJJC] builds grassroots power and leadership to create strong, equitable communities. Born from a visionary merger between a Black housing rights organization and a Latin@ immigrant rights organization, we build bridges of solidarity between working class communities of color. Through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, and direct action, we improve conditions in our neighborhoods in Oakland and San Francisco and contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change.
The primary role of the Development Manager of Government Grants is to work closely with the Development Manager of Grassroots Fundraising. to develop and advance the priorities and strategies of the Fundraising Team. This position will play a crucial role in facilitating the Fundraising Team’s planning and strategy. The Development Manager-Gov. will be supervised by the Finance Director and will work closely with both the Leadership Team and the Executive Director to ensure that the organization’s political vision and plans are supported through government, foundation and grassroots fundraising.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities:
Fundraising Team Member - As part of the Fundraising Team, the Development Manager-Gov will:
- Help to draft specific parts of Annual Team work plan and develop related proposals to bring to directors.
- Represent or lead in external fundraising spaces.
- Play a lead role in training new staff, and in all staff spaces.
- Help with planning for the Fundraising Team with the Development Manager-GRF.
- Give input into the priorities and strategies of the organization.
- Direct Government Grants Fundraising
- Make strategic decisions about Government Grants direction
- Draft Government Grants work plan.
- Independently make Gov. Grants strategic decisions.
- Develop Gov. Grants proposals to bring to Directors.
- Coordinate and execute Government Grants fundraising strategies and activities.
- Manage and monitor our government fundraising portfolio.
- Lead and supervise government RFP writing efforts.
- Work with program staff to ensure timely programmatic reporting.
- Work with finance staff to ensure timely financial reporting/invoicing.
- Support Executive Director in efforts to secure and improve government funding agency relationships.
- Manage and monitor a portion of CJJC’s foundation fundraising portfolio.
- Write grant proposals, reports and funder communications.
- Develop outcome deliverables and proposal budgets.
- Serve as a funder liaison by initiating conversations, clarifying questions and leading site visits.
- Track foundation deadlines.
- File foundation documents.
- Participate in foundation fundraising strategy development and planning.
- Represent the organization at funder events as needed.
- The Development Manager-Gov. will supervise the Finance Associate and hold regular supervision meetings.
- Provide accountability for work plans & deliverables.
- Support setting and working toward individual development goals.
- Manage volunteers as needed.
- Active and regular participation and contributions to political education and leadership development spaces.
- Participate in supervision, staff meetings, Team meetings, and staff planning retreats and other all staff spaces
- Occasional civic participation and outreach shifts.
Government Grant Manager Skills & Requirements
- Excellent writing skills
- Powerful, confident communicator and natural relationship builder
- Numbers person - numbers speak to you and you know how to make them behave in budgets and spreadsheets. Fluent in Excel.
- Impeccable attention to detail and a strong systems thinker: you are a workplanning star!
- Preferred proven talent for getting the best performance and growth out of the staff you manage.
- 3 years grant writing experience.
Starting salary: $52,000 - $59,000, negotiable depending on experience. Position includes generous benefits package including vacation, sick time, holidays, full medical, dental, vision and Health Reimbursement Account.
Please submit resume and cover letter, including why you are motivated to join staff at Causa Justa::Just Cause. When sharing your resume and cover letter, please keep in mind that CJJC’s hiring platform is not a secure site - please do not include sensitive information such as social security number, citizenship status, etc.
Position open until filled. People of color, immigrants, women, trans* and queer people are strongly encouraged to apply.