Causa Justa :: Just Cause builds grassroots power and leadership to create strong, equitable communities. Born through mergers between Black organizations and Latino organizations, we build bridges of solidarity between working class communities. Through rights-based services, policy campaigns, civic engagement, and direct action, we improve conditions in our neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area, and contribute to building the larger multi-racial, multi-generational movement needed for fundamental change.
CJJC seeks an enthusiastic and resilient Development Director who is ready to create plentiful, effective, and compelling opportunities for donors to support our organization, and to make the experience of giving inspiring and rewarding. In addition, CJJC seeks a Development Director with impeccable writing skills and who is excited to build strong relationships with funders. Preferred candidates will be self-motivated, highly organized and adept at training and mobilizing staff and volunteers.
The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director and leads the organization’s Fundraising Team. They set and achieve fundraising goals and strategies to fully resource CJJC’s work. The Development Director works to implement the politics and vision of our work through foundation, government and grassroots fundraising. The Development Director is supervised by the Executive Director.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with leadership to identify funding priorities and enhance existing development efforts;
- Inspire and lead the Fundraising Team to develop and advance priorities and strategies for successful fundraising;
- Establish relationships with prospective foundation and individual donors, and deepen existing relationships with our supporters;
- Play a key role in soliciting individual gifts through virtual one-on-ones and in-person meetings (when safely possible), and prepare staff and board members to solicit gifts;
- Partner with the Executive Director and Finance Lead to develop and monitor the organizational budget based on accurate fundraising projections;
- Confidently represent the organization in external funder spaces;
- Collaborate with the Communications Team to amplify the profile of CJJC, implement; online fundraising and build the narrative of the work to influence funders and donors;
- Builds a supportive relationship with supervisees, guiding and inspiring them in their leadership trajectory.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The ideal candidate will:
- Embrace Causa Justa :: Just Cause’s mission and commitment to transformative organizing, Black and Brown unity and movement-building;
- Excel at organizational management: thorough understanding of HR, staff development, finance and compliance, and consistently make good decisions (including managing risks and liabilities) through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and economy, and an ability to work effectively across racial, gender, and other identities;
- Have at least five years of successful fundraising experience with and for social justice organizations, with a successful track record of staff management, grant writing, grants management, and donor cultivation;
- Possess top-notch communication, story-telling and writing skills and love relationship building;
- Proven track record in building and maintaining trust and unity and inspiring team members to do their best work, while demonstrating commitment and accountability in their own work;
- Lead with self-awareness, vision and humility;
- Eagerly and effectively represent the organization in a range of settings;
- Be super organized and detail-oriented, and an innate multi-tasker and problem-solver
We will consider a candidate’s full range of educational, professional, and life experience. CJJC does not require that candidates possess any specific degrees or levels of formal educational attainment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience, with an expected annual salary range between $65,000 and $85,000. CJJC offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision insurance, 401k plan, health reimbursement plan, and generous paid time off, including a 3-month sabbatical after seven years.